Hawaiian Airlines Baggage Policy – Fees & Allowance. Hawaiian Airlines has a fairly standard baggage policy with fees that are pretty average for checked bags ($25-$30) when compared to other major airlines.
However, Hawaiian’s overweight fees seem to come in a bit cheaper than the average.
Fun Fact: Hawaiian Airlines has a great little exclusion for bringing fresh papaya and pineapple back home with you.
This is an overview of Hawaiian Airlines baggage fees for most flights between North America and Hawaii.
The actual checked baggage fee you pay may vary based on fare class, frequent flier status, and specific route flown.
Please consult Hawaiian’s website to calculate the exact fee you will pay.
What is Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) baggage policy?
The Hawaiian Airlines (HA) baggage policy for regular basic fares include the following:
- Carry-on baggage.
- 1 personal item – Fee free
- 1 carry-on item – Fee free
- Checked baggage / Hold luggage – Applicable fees per bag increase with number checked.
- Overweight and Oversize bags – Applicable fees per bag depending on weight and size categories.
- Sports equipment – Certain items might have applicable fees.
Is a backpack a personal item on Hawaiian Airlines?
Yes, Hawaiian would consider a backpack as your personal item as long as it is comparable in size to a handbag, laptop bag or briefcase (so we’re not talking a 60L backpack here!)
What is Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) carry-on baggage policy?
Hawaiian Airlines (HA) allows 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop bag) per passenger fee free.
Carry-on should not exceed the following size and weight restrictions:
- 45 linear inches (22 x 14 x 9 in) or 115 centimeters (56 x 36 x 23 cm) including handles and wheels.
- Fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
- Personal item should be of proper size to fit under the seat in front of you
- A jacket, umbrella, diaper bag, duty free items, and assistive devices (wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, strollers, child restraint seats, etc.) do not count towards your carry-on allowance.
NOTE: Bulkhead seats do not have under seat storage, therefore, all carry-on baggage must be stowed in the overhead bin during take-off and landing.
How big can a carry on bag be Hawaiian Airlines?
Hawaiian Airlines allows passengers to bring a standard piece of carry-on that must not exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches and must not weigh over 25 pounds.
A personal item is also allowed but Hawaiian does not disclose any size restrictions.
What is Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) checked baggage / hold luggage policy?
Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) standard checked baggage / hold luggage policy details follow:
- 2 bags standard, up to 10 bags maximum
- Maximum dimensions: 62 inches or 157 centimeters (length + width + height)
- Maximum weight: 50 pounds or 23 kilograms
How much is a checked bag on Hawaiian Airlines?
For the Main Cabin, Hawaiian charges $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second bag and $50-$100 for 3+ bags.
This excludes flights to/from North America where the first bag is $30 and the second bag $40.
For First Class and International flights, the first two bags are included within the standard ticket price, with 3+ bags costing $150.
Are there fees for baggage on Hawaiian Airlines (HA)?
Yes, fees might apply.
They are determined by the type of fare you purchased, your destination, if you are an active U S military personnel and/or dependent, if you have status with Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) frequent flyer program, status with an affiliated carrier, or if you have a Hawaiian Airlines (HA) sponsored credit/charge card.
Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) standard checked baggage / hold luggage fees for U S domestic flights follow [updated 13 November 2018]:
- First bag: $30.00 USD ($25.00 for HawaiianMiles members on Neighbor Island flights)
- Second bag: $40.00 USD ($35.00 for HawaiianMiles members on Neighbor Island flights)
Hawaiian Airlines (HA) does not charge a fee for the first two bags on international flights to/from the US.
What is Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) fee for excess baggage?
Hawaiian Airlines (HA) will charge – per bag – $50.00 USD on Neighbor Island flight bookings, $100.00 USD on North America flight bookings, and $150.00 USD on international flight bookings for 3 or more bags.
What is Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) fee for overweight baggage?
Hawaiian Airlines (HA) will charge the following for bags that are greater than the standard 50 pounds or 23 kilograms:
- 51 to 70 pounds or 24 to 32 kilograms: $50.00 USD extra per bag on flights to/from North America, Japan, Korea, Pago Pago, and Papeete ($35.00 for Neighbor Island flights)
- 71 to 100 pounds or 33 to 46 kilograms: $200.00 USD extra per bag on flights to/from North America, $400 USD extra per bag on flights to/from Japan, Korea, and Pago Pago ($70.00 for Neighbor Island flights)
- Bags exceeding 71 pounds or 33 kilograms are not accepted on flights to/from Australia or Papeete
- Bags exceeding 100 pounds or 46 kilograms will not be accepted as checked baggage / hold luggage.
Please check Hawaiian Airlines’s site
How much does Hawaiian Airlines charge for overweight baggage?
With Hawaiian Airlines, checked baggage that exceeds 50 lbs (23kg) will be subject to excess fees.
For bags 51-70 pounds (23-32kg) the fee is $35 within Hawaii and $50 for all other routes.
Bags 71-100 pounds (32-45 kg) will be charged $70 within Hawaii, $200 between Hawaii & North America and $400 for international flights (excluding Australia, New Zealand, and Tahiti where bags of this weight are not accepted).
What is Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) fee for oversize baggage?
Hawaiian Airlines (HA) will charge $100.00 USD (for to/from North American destinations), $150 USD (for to/from all international destinations), and $35.00 USD (for Neighbor Island flights) extra for bags that are from 62 to 80 linear inches or from 160 to 206 centimeters.
Bags greater than 80 linear inches or 206 centimeters will not be accepted as checked baggage / hold luggage.
Are there fees for sports equipment on Hawaiian Airlines (HA)?
Sports equipment such as skis, golf bags, fishing equipment, hockey, and lacrosse equipment will be accepted up to Hawaiian Airlines’ (HA) size and weight limits and will count as one checked bag/hold bag. Associated fees might be applied.
In certain situations (CPAP), we require that you notify our reservations department not later than forty-eight (48) hours prior to your flight, and that you check in at our ticket counter not later than one hour prior to the minimum check in time for your flight.
What is the baggage allowance on Hawaiian Airlines?
Checked luggage must be added to your booking if flying Hawaiian in the Main Cabin.
The allowance for the bags that you add to your booking would be 50 pounds (23 kg) and max linear dimensions of 62 inches (157 cm).
The first two bags are free for First Class passengers and international flights.