Turkish Airlines Baggage Policy – Fees & Allowance. If you’re travelling with Turkish Airlines on an upcoming flight, here’s everything you need to know about your Turkish Airlines baggage allowance and fees.
Turkish Airlines works on a weight system for certain international destinations and a piece system for others, so check out the list of destinations below before traveling so you know what you’re eligible for.
Journeys to and from the U.S. work on the piece system and the checked allowance is 2 bags across economy and business classes with a generous 70 pounds (32 kg) for the latter.
If you join Turkish Airlines’ frequent flyer program, Miles&Smiles, you’ll be permitted to take an additional piece of checked luggage once you hit Elite or Elite Plus status.
Business Class passengers: 2 Bags + 1 Personal Item*
- Maximum dimensions of each piece of carry-on luggage: 23 x 40 x 55 cm
- Maximum weight of each piece of carry-on luggage: 8 kg
Economy Class passengers: 1 Bag + 1 Personal Item*
- Maximum dimensions of carry-on luggage: 23 x 40 x 55 cm
- Maximum weight of carry-on luggage: 8 kg
*Assistive devices and outer garments do not count as personal items. All carry-on luggage must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. You must be able to lift your carry-on into the overhead storage without assistance.
REMINDER: Bulkhead seats do not have underseat storage during take-off and landing.
Checked Baggage Allowance for flights to/from the USA and Canada
Business Class passengers
- Baggage Allowance: 2 pieces
- Maximum Weight for each piece: 32 kg
- Maximum Dimensions for each piece: 158 cm
Economy Class passengers
- Baggage Allowance: 2 pieces
- Maximum Weight for each piece: 23 kg (Bags weighing 23 kg – 32 kg will be charged as an excess baggage. Baggage exceeding 32 kg will not be accepted.)
- Maximum Dimensions for each piece: 158 cm for one piece, but the two bags cannot exceed 273 cm combined
- Baggage Allowance: 1 piece + 1 fully collapsible stroller
- Maximum Weight for each piece: 23 kg
- Maximum Dimensions for each piece: 115 cm
Checked Baggage Allowance for all flights not to/from the USA and Canada
Business Class passengers
Maximum Weight: 30 kg
Economy Class passengers
Maximum Weight: 20 kg
- Maximum Weight: 10 kg
- One fully collapsible stroller in addition to baggage
- Maximum dimensions for each piece: 115 cm
Excess Baggage Fees
Fees for excess, oversize, and overweight baggage varies according to travel.
For more information please contact to the nearest Turkish Airlines Sales Office prior to your flight.
- $2 (12 TRY) per kilogram
International Journeys for Weight System (Charged per Kilo)
|Departure – Destination||Region 1||Region 2||Region 3||Region 4||Region 5|
Prices have been converted from EUR, so the exchange may vary.
Weight System Region Definitions
- Region 1: Aleppo, Athens, Batumi, Bucharest, Chisinau, Constanta, Donetsk, Ganja, Nakhichevan, Odessa, Pristina, Sarajevo, Simferopol, Skopje, Sofia, Thessaloniki, Tirana, Varna
- Region 2: Alexandria, Almaty, Amman, Aqaba, Ashgabat, Astana, Astrakhan, Bari, Beirut, Belgrade, Bishkek, Bologna, Budapest, Cairo, Catania, Damascus, Dnipropetrovsk, Dushanbe, Graz, Hurghada, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kabul, Kharkiv, Kherson, Khujand, Kiev, Kosice, Ljubljana, Luxor, Lviv, Malta, Mazar-i-Sharif, Minsk, Naples, Osh, Pisa, Podgorica, Rome, Rostov-on-Don, Salzburg, Samarkand, Sharm El Sheikh, Sochi, Stavropol, Tabriz, Tashkent, Tbilisi, Tel Aviv, Venice, Vienna, Warsaw, Zagreb, Zaporizhia, Krasnodar
- Region 3: Algeria, Amsterdam, Baghdad, Baku, Basel, Basara, Batna, Benghazi, Berlin, Bremen, Brussels, Cologne, Constantine, Düsseldorf, Erbil, Frankfurt, Friedrichshafen, Geneva, Genoa, Hamburg, Hannover, Karlsruhe, Leipzig, Luxembourg, Lyon, Marseille, Milan, Misurata, Moscow, Mosul, Munich, Munster, Najaf, Nice, Nuremburg, Oran, Prague, Riga, Rotterdam, Sebha, Stuttgart, Suleymaniyah, Tallinn, Tlemcen, Tripoli, Tripoli, Turin, Ulan Bator, Vilnius, Zurich
- Region 4: Aalborg, Abu Dhabi, Aden, Ahvaz, Al Qassim, Bahrain, Barcelona, Bilbao, Billund, Birmingham, Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Dammam, Doha, Dubai, Dublin, Edinburgh, Gothenburg, Helsinki, Isfahan, Jeddah, Kazan, Kermanshah, Kuwait, London, Madrid, Malaga, Manchester, Mashhad, Medina, Novosibirsk, Oslo, Paris, Riyadh, Rovaniemi, Sana’a, Santiago de Compostela, Shiraz, Sharjah, St Petersburg, Stockholm, Taif, Tehran, Toulouse, Ufa, Valencia, Voronezh, Yanbu, Yekaterinburg
- Region 5: Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Denpasar-Bali, Beijing, Cape Town, Casablanca, Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Djibouti, Durban, Entebbe, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Islamabad, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Karachi, Kathmandu, Kigali, Kilimanjaro, Kuala Lumpur, Lahore, Lisbon, Male, Manila, Maputo, Marrakesh, Mogadishu, Mombasa, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, New Delhi, Phuket, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Zanzibar, Lusaka
International Journeys for Piece System (Charged per Bag)
|Departure – Destination||Piece Region (Extra Piece)|
Piece System Region Definitions
Piece Region 1: Abidjan, Abuja, Accra, Antananarivo, Asmara, Atlanta, Bamako, Banjul, Boston, Bogota, Buenos Aires, Cancun, Caracas, Chicago, Conakry, Cotonou, Dakar, Douala, Freetown, Havana, Houston, Kano, Khartum, Kinshasa, Lagos, Libreville, Los Angeles, Luanda, Mahe Island, Mauritius, Mexico City, Miami, Moroni, Montreal, New York, Novakchott, Niamey, Osaka, Ouagadougou, Panama, Pointe Noir, Port Harcourt, Port Sudan, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Toronto, Tokyo, Washington, Yaounde
For security reasons you are not allowed to use your own oxygen tank during the flight; however, we will provide oxygen tank with a medical certificate with the amount per minute stated on your medical report.
The oxygen inquiries should be placed at least 24 hours before the flight.
You can carry the sports equipment listed below or any similar items with you on Turkish Airlines flights.
They will carry your first set of golf or skiing equipment free of charge.
|Golf Equipment||Skiing/Water Skiing Equipment||Surf Equipment||Diving Equipment|
|Tents||Empty Canisters||Inflatable Dinghies||Rafting Equipment|
|Archery Equipment||Canoes||Ice Hockey Equipment||Hang-gliding Equipment|
|Paragliding Equipment||Parachute Equipment||Mountaineering Equipment||Bicycles|
|Hunting Rifles||Sporting Rifles and Scopes|
How many bags does Turkish Airlines allow?
Turkish Airlines works on a piece allowance for some international routes (list of destinations in the article above) with economy passengers allowed 2 pieces (50 pounds each) and business class allowed 2 pieces (70 pounds each).
All other destinations work on a weight allowance where you are not restricted on the number of bags, just maximum weight.
How much weight can you take on Turkish Airlines?
With destinations that use a weight concept, passengers can distribute their weight allowance across multiple bags.
Economy passengers can bring up to 44 pounds and business class 66 pounds.
Other destinations use the piece concept with economy allowed 2 bags (50 pounds each) and business 2 bags (70 pounds each).
Each bag must also adhere to a max linear size of 62 inches.
How many bags can you carry on Turkish Airlines?
Turkish Airlines allows passengers to bring a personal item into the cabin that can fit under the seat in front of you.
Economy passengers can also bring 1 carry-on bag and business can bring 2 carry-on bags measuring up to 21.6 x 15.7 x 9 inches with a max weight of 17.6 pounds.
How much does Turkish Airlines charge for overweight baggage?
Excess checked baggage charges with Turkish Airlines depend on your flight route with destinations on the piece concept being charged $160 to $450 for an extra bag if you exceed your allowance.
Destinations on the weight concept are charged $4.50 to $36 per kilogram if your baggage is overweight.
Does Turkish Airlines allow 2 bags?
Yes, 2 checked bags are permitted with Turkish Airlines if you’re flying to a destination that uses their piece concept (listed in article).
If flying to a destination that uses a weight concept then there is no limit to how many bags you can bring — you are only restricted by a combined weight allowance.