Alaska Airlines Commemorative aircraft Portland Timbers plane Boeing 737-700. The Boeing 737-700 paint theme is a combination of two designs created by Paul Wright of Portland and John Bode of San Mateo, Calif for a “Paint-the-Plane” contest in 2011. The aircraft features the Portland Timbers’ name and logo in the team’s trademark colors with a rising sun across the forward part of the fuselage. The “Timbers Jet” celebrates Alaska Airlines’ pride in being the official airline and jersey sponsor of the Portland Timbers.
Alaska Airlines Fleet Boeing 737-700 Portland “Timbers Jet” Background Story
In January 2011, the Portland Timbers and Alaska Airlines teamed up to launch a special ‘Paint the Plane’ art contest asking fans to create artwork to adorn an Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-700. Entries were judged based on originality, creativity and the ability to express the Portland Timbers brand by a group of Alaska Airlines and Timbers representatives.
Elements of the two first-place designs created by Paul Wright, of Portland, and John Bode of San Mateo, Calif., were combined into a final design that now adorns an Alaska Airlines 737-700 jet and flies throughout the carrier’s network. One runner up and seven honorable mentions were also recognized.
The final design of the Timbers-themed airplane was unveiled during a special event at Portland International Airport in early May and immediately entered regular service to all cities currently served by Alaska Airlines with a 737-700.
Alaska Airlines Special Livery Portland “Timbers Jet” Boeing 737-700 Facts
- The 737-700 has a wing span of 112 feet, 7 inches, and measures 110 feet in length.
- The plane accommodates 124 passengers and five crew members.
- With a 6,875-gallon fuel tank, the plane cruises at 530 mph, or mach 0.785, and can fly at a maximum altitude of 41,000 feet.
- A crew of 18 people worked around the clock for 16 days to paint the plane.
- The painting process required 130 gallons of paint, about 4,500 sheets of sandpaper and 51,000 feet of masking tape.
Alaska Airlines Narrow Body Fleet Boeing 737-700 Special Livery “Portland Timbers Jet” Images Gallery
Thanks to visiting AirlinesFleet.com and read article :Alaska Airlines Commemorative aircraft Portland Timbers plane Boeing 737-700.